Outdoor gas fireplaces are increasingly becoming a must-have feature in Melbourne homes as an alternative to traditional wood-burning fireplaces. Not only do outdoor gas fires create added value to your home, but they can also be used throughout the year as an outdoor heating option.
Whether you’re wanting to entertain year-round or are simply wanting to end your day in front of a fire, a gas fire can make the perfect addition to your outdoor living space.
Things to Consider When Installing an Outdoor Gas Fire
With so many different types of fireplaces, deciding on what outdoor fireplace will be best suited to your home can be confusing.
There are some things that you will need to consider when planning your outdoor gas fire, including:
- Purpose: It’s important to plan what you want to use your gas fire for. Some outdoor fireplaces are best suited for cooking, while others are better as outdoor heaters to help keep you warm on a cold, winter night.
- Location and size: Have you considered what fireplace design will best suit your outdoor area? Your choice of fireplace may be limited due to the size of your backyard and proximity to other structures, including your home, sheds, or plants. We recommend speaking to your local council prior to deciding on a fireplace, as in some circumstances, your desired fireplace will not be suitable for the area you live in.
- Design: Do you want your fireplace to be a focal point of your home? In some cases, a foundation or supporting structure may need to be laid or built to install the fireplace.
- Structures: You need to consider whether you need any existing or new structures to support the fireplace.
- Safety: The last thing you need to consider when planning your gas fireplace is safety. Similar to indoor fireplaces, you should make sure you understand any safety requirements. Is there anything you are required to do to make sure your gas-burning fireplace is safe?
If you have any questions on these considerations, we’re here to help.
Benefits of an Outdoor Gas Fireplace
The advantages of gas fireplaces are endless, especially when placed in an outdoor living space. Some of the main benefits of gas fireplaces are:
- You can turn it on and off with the flip of a switch, which makes the igniting and cleaning process easy.
- Gas fireplaces don’t have a post-fire smell.
- The flames don’t produce a spark or produce hot embers, so it is the perfect option for families.
- Gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel.
Process of Installing An Outdoor Gas Fireplace
- A discussion with your local council. By contacting your local council prior to buying your fireplace, you can learn if there are any rules or regulations that you need to be aware of.
- Deciding on what gas fireplace is right for you – this includes design elements. When you are planning the design of your outdoor fireplace, keep in mind that professionals can assist you in choosing a model that suits your needs and home. Our team is experienced in guiding Melbourne customers through the design and planning process and can help you with all your questions relating to style, trends and installation.
- The purchase of your outdoor fireplace.
- Once you have selected and purchased your gas fireplace, you will need to arrange for installation. You should contact a professional fireplace installer. The specialist will then oversee the process of ensuring the necessary foundations and supporting structures are in place, through to the final installation.
- Building of any required foundations and/or supporting structures
- The installation of your outdoor fireplace.
Escea EF5000 – Outdoor Gas Fireplaces
The Escea EF5000 is one of the best outdoor gas fireplaces on the market. Not only does the Escea EF5000 have a maximum heat output of 16.5kW, so you can stay warm throughout winter, but it can be turned on/off with the flick of a switch.
As the EF5000 is open-fronted, you will not need a flue (lining of a masonry chimney), which makes it extremely easy to install. It also has a zero-clearance rating, so the fireplace can be installed easily into a number of materials.
If you’re lacking an existing structure or wall in which it can be installed, we can arrange a stainless steel frame to be installed and all the required fastenings. It is also customisable to suit your home’s design. So whether you prefer your outdoor fireplace to be frameless or if you like the look of a traditional fireplace (but still want the convenience of gas), there’s an option to suit your individual taste.
Outdoor Gas Fireplaces Melbourne
At Just Gas Log Fires, we can help you determine what outdoor gas fire is right for you and your outdoor space. After partnering with Stoke Fireplace Studio, we can assist you with the design, planning and installation process of the fireplace. Contact us today.