Do you have an existing fireplace and are looking to transition to a gas fireplace instead? If the answer is yes, you’ll be pleased to know that the process of moving from a traditional wood burning fireplace, to a gas fireplace is actually easier than you think. All you need is a licensed gas fitter, and a gas fireplace insert.
What is a fireplace insert?
A gas fireplace insert is installed into the existing open hearth. The insert sits inside two metal boxes – the heat is then generated between these two boxes. The heat is then released via the firebox, generating a steady stream of warmth into your home.
What is the process of installing a gas fireplace insert into an existing chimney?
The gas fitter will attend your home and do the following:
- Measure the opening of the fireplace (this includes the width, height and depth of your existing fireplace)
- Determine the size of your insert that best suits your existing fireplace
- Install your fireplace insert
- Run a gas line and connect to the fireplace insert
The whole process usually takes as little as two days from start to finish to complete!
Do you need a chimney with a gas fireplace?
You do not need an existing chimney or fireplace to be able to install a gas fire! Gas fireplaces can be installed in any home, whether there is an existing fireplace or not.
A hole will have to be cut into your wall, where an exhaust will have to be fed through to the outside.
However, prior to beginning the installation process, we encourage you to speak to your local council. Different areas will have different regulations – this may affect the type of fireplace you are legally allowed to have. If you are unsure, we can always help guide you through the installation process.
Why transition from a traditional fireplace to a gas fireplace?
There are a few reasons people opt for a gas fireplace:
- There is little to no mess involved
- You can turn your fireplace on and off with a push of a button
- They burn natural gas, making them more economical than a wood burning fireplace
- They provide you with a steady heat output
Just Gas Log Fires can install a gas fireplace into an existing chimney
We are the gas fireplace installation and servicing experts. We have been providing our expertise to homes across Melbourne for over 20 years. Get in touch with our friendly team to discuss the process of installing a gas fireplace into an existing chimney.